Saying Hi, from Ipswich, Queensland, Australia. a old 'newby' starting up.

Buying/selling equipment
Situations wanted/vacant
Forum rules
All sellers are required to have a forum profile that identifies them clearly. (Such as - name, surname, location, business name et cetera)
Klackers2018
Organisation: Vintage Graphics
Interests: collecting photographs and cameras

Saying Hi, from Ipswich, Queensland, Australia. a old 'newby' starting up.

Post by Klackers2018 »

Hi, from Ipswich, Queensland, Australia.
I am having to get into Picture Framing, to get a living income, as the Government has taken my old age pension of me, after I received an insurance claim payout.

Ever since retiring 20 years ago, I had a small hobby Buisness making and selling posters though some Antique Centres and flea markets. I was a wedding Photographers in the 1970’s, and taught negative retouching and colouring and enhancing images, and loved that ever since. Now I can no longer do that, too arthritic to run around doing photography, and too deaf to have a shop, I rely on the staff at the antique centres to sell my works.

I now have a considerable image file at hand, 250,000 images retouched, and a great many more still to be done. I am better spending my time on the computer with photoshop retouching rather tan trying to deal with customers.

When I worked at a Brisbane Studio in 1970’s, we had a large staff in the framing dept, and I would often help them when they had too much work, so I have used all the picture framing equipment. Though I will have to get out and re-learn much, but would like to sell my work properly framed, and so I am going to set up a picture framing works under my house. I will ONLY be doing my own picture framing, NOT any one else, NOR will I me going into competition with any other picture framers in my area. I will make that clear. (Strange the wholesaler that I used to buy from dropped me, as I now have some, not much, money to spend)

I used to have an account with the largest picture framing suppliers in Australia. But I used to insist on paying on the spot, and since I did not have a store front shop, that now refuse to deal with me. Very strange attitude.

So I am having to learn all over again, picture framing, and buying equipment etc. (I used to lecture and write articles on photoshop, and was computer support officer at the local computer club)

My biggest problem is estimating costs and selling prices.. as when I worked at the studio, I was salaried, and did not handle sales. And now having to find out all new resource suppliers in Brisbane and Ipswich, and Australia. (I also collect old antique picture frames etc) so a tough learning curve. And I may not be up and running by the end of the year.

So if your in Brisbane or close by and have equipment for sale. Or know of framing resources and sources of knowledge that I may call on. Pleas do drop me a line.

Regard, Sandy
Attachments
my stand at one antique centre
my stand at one antique centre
BriggyBoy
Organisation: scot frame
Interests: memorabilia

Re: Saying Hi, from Ipswich, Queensland, Australia. a old 'newby' starting up.

Post by BriggyBoy »

Good luck

Covid meant we had to frame our own stuff as everyone was shut or uncontactable. It certainly wasn't on our to do list but it's working out ok.