PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
daisy
Organisation: South Lanarkshire
Interests: Too many to mention

'Should I or shouldn'd I?'

Post by daisy »

Hi everyone,

Here's a question that I hope I get lots of feedback from.... I did my beginners and then advanced picture framing courses through a college of further education. I have been framing for 6 years and started a small business 2 years ago which I absolutely love. I am now at a stage where I was wondering if studying for GCF or PPF exams was the way forward. Can anyone out there advise me of what work is involved, what courses to go on and also what if any difference has it made to your business?

Regards Daisy
Dermot

Re: 'Should I or shouldn'd I?'

Post by Dermot »

PPFA (Professional Picture Framers Association) CPF® (Certified Picture Framer)

Through the PPFA Certified Picture Framer® (CPF®) Program, you can test your knowledge in the five exam content areas: Preservation, General Knowledge, Mechanical, Math and Mounting…and earn the framer's mark of excellence, the CPF designation. More than 3,800 individuals worldwide have achieved CPF status since the program's inception in 1986.

Study guide for the PPFA CPF certification http://www.pmai.org/WorkArea/showcontent.aspx?id=10588

CPF Study material http://www.pmai.org/WorkArea/showcontent.aspx?id=14366

http://www.pmai.org/content.aspx?id=10580
Moglet
Organisation: An Urban Myth
Interests: I'll let you know if I get my life back.

Post by Moglet »

daisy wrote:Hi everyone,

Here's a question that I hope I get lots of feedback from.... I did my beginners and then advanced picture framing courses through a college of further education. I have been framing for 6 years and started a small business 2 years ago which I absolutely love. I am now at a stage where I was wondering if studying for GCF or PPF exams was the way forward. Can anyone out there advise me of what work is involved, what courses to go on and also what if any difference has it made to your business?

Regards Daisy
Hi Daisy,

Great to hear how much you're enjoying being a framer! :)

I think it is a great idea to study for and obtain either/both CPF or GCF qualifications. It is a mark of the pride that you take in your work, the knowledge that you have worked hard to gain, and something you will be proudly be able to tell your new and existing customers about (which should hopefully promote business growth).

Dermot has already given you the link for PPFA certification (they actually have a sample examination paper somewhere on the site for you to try out, btw). Also, the FATG publish a GCF study guide to prepare you for their exam. It's available from the FATG website, and also from Lion.
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
Image .Briseann an dúchas trí shuiligh an chuit.
Bill Henry
Organisation: Not so much - it's kind of messy.
Interests: Dry mounting dog hair, counting age spots on old people, playing chess with wood elves, scheming to take over the world.

Post by Bill Henry »

daisy wrote: … and also what if any difference has it made to your business?

Regards Daisy
I received my CPF designation in the late ‘80s, and, for me, it was worth it. It gave me the confidence to realize that I was at least up to minimum industry standards. The CPF exam tests knowledge but not skills – skills are tested at the MCPF level but I haven’t taken it yet.

I use the CPF logo in advertising, but since most customers have no idea what certification means, it is probably not too useful in attracting them into the shop. And, if they notice and bother to ask what CPF means, they seem less than overwhelmed with the news.

Still, I’d do it over again.
Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent! – Porky Pine
Dermot

Post by Dermot »

The sample questions are in the CPF study guide...
Dermot

Post by Dermot »

I would feel that the main benefit of having the CPF® is the confidence it would instil in oneself …..and the understanding and current knowledge that you have of picture framing.

One thing regarding the CPF® is that these days it is constantly being updated to reflect advances made in framing methodology ….hence the fact that since 1993 those who earn the CPF® need to recertify at least once every four years..

Recertification
The art and framing industry is not a static one - it's a constantly changing field with advances in new techniques and products continuously being developed. Framers must stay on top of these advances. That's why PPFA® developed the Recertification Program, designed to ensure that designation holders continue to update their knowledge in the industry and keep abreast of the latest technology.
Like the CPF exam, the Recertification course is the result of a collaborative effort of industry experts. Because industry advancements are continuously emerging, the Recertification course is updated on an ongoing basis.
http://www.pmai.org/content.aspx?id=10596
Mary Evans
Organisation: Applegarth Framing, Repton
Interests: Picture framing

Post by Mary Evans »

Hello Daisy

How great that you are enjoying your framing business and looking to advance your skills.

The Guild Commended Framer (GCF) is the qualification run by the Fine Art Trade Guild which is recognised worldwide – at the last count we had qualified framers in 23 countries.

The Guild feels that a practical element is essential to a framing qualification so the exam comprises three parts: three previously framed items brought for inspection, a practical exam (3 individual mounting or framing tasks) and a multiple-choice theory paper. The whole exam lasts about 2 hours, though candidates are invited to arrive early to practice on the machines they may need to use in the practical session. Allowances are made for using unfamiliar equipment. The three framed items you would need to prepare in advance are an item of art on paper to Guild Commended Level with a double windowmount, an item of art on paper to Conservation Level with lines around the window, and a canvas stretched over stretcher bars. Full details are in the Guild Commended Framer Study Guide, which is essential reading for the exam, available from the Guild office, details below. There are a number of centres around the country where you can sit the exam.

There are a number of trainers offering GCF courses – you have already done two years practical framing but, with my experience as an examiner, I would recommend a GCF top-up course, or something similar, in order to pick up any areas you can improve on. There is a list of trainers on the Guild website.

In addition to the GCF, the Guild also runs three Advanced qualifications in Textiles, Conservation, and Mount Design and Function.

Many framers (myself included) have used these qualifications to promote their business as a news item in the local press (free advertising!), some have also used local radio, and I’m sure most of us have our certificates hanging where customers will see them. Inevitably, the more you put into marketing yourself the more you can get out of it.

I would certainly recommend you go for a qualification – many GCFs tell me that not only do they use it to promote themselves with their customers but, sometimes more importantly, it has given them extra confidence when advising customers on materials and techniques.

Further information is available on the Guild website www.fineart.co.uk or if you have other specific questions I am happy to try to answer them.

Mary Evans
Chairman, Fine Art Trade Guild Framers Committee
Framerpicture
Organisation: Picture Framing
Interests: Mountain Biking, Walking,

Post by Framerpicture »

The only slight problem with being a GCF (which I am) is if you leave the Guild (which I have over the web site debacle amongst other things) you can,t advertise your qualification to the public!

Strange but true!
http://www.churchgategallery.co.uk/
Follow us on Twitter@PorlockArt
Dermot

Post by Dermot »

I understand you can advertise that you are a GCF but you cannot use the FATG logo…..however the logo for the GCF has the FATG logo incorporated…which means unless you are a member of the FATG you cannot use the GCF logo…

I have great difficulty with this issue and my decision to try and become a GCF…..I see very little relevance in the FATG for me however I do see some relevance in the GCF ……but if I cannot use all that the GCF offers as a stand alone certification why should I bother trying to attain it.

It like a university giving you a degree, then not allowing you to use or promote that degree unless you pay them a fee every year.
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Post by JFeig »

As far as taking the exam, I know that they offer "off site" exams through a testing organization here in the US so that people far from a chapter can take a test more easily. I would email the PPFA offices to see if that option is offered in the UK/Scotland.

In addition to a study guide, PPFA has for sale books that contain the information necessary to pass the test(home study).
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
framejunkie
Organisation: framejunkie
Interests: 6.9%APR; 21.3%APR

Post by framejunkie »

Dermot wrote:…..I see very little relevance in the FATG for me however I do see some relevance in the GCF ……but if I cannot use all that the GCF offers as a stand alone certification why should I bother trying to attain it.

It like a university giving you a degree, then not allowing you to use or promote that degree unless you pay them a fee every year.
I'm in total agreement Dermot. It's like its not a real qualification so much as a club - stop paying the fees and your qualification is nearly useless to you. :head:
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

framejunkie wrote: I'm in total agreement Dermot. It's like its not a real qualification so much as a club - stop paying the fees and your qualification is nearly useless to you. :head:
I agree with both of you, but it' funny that on the Guild website about the GCF and what it can do for you, it does not say you have to be a member to promote the qualification, I have just cut and pasted this from their website

GCF IS RECOGNISED WORLDWIDE

All framers, anywhere can:

confirm their skills

distinguish themselves from others

increase customer confidence

use GCF status for publicity
and promotion

enhance their entry in Yellow Pages or Thomson Directories

I can not see anything about only being able to promote the status of GCF if you are a member, It says All framers, anywhere can: and I think the last two are also important , they do not state only if you are a member of the Guild

I got that off my chest

Steve N
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Dermot

Post by Dermot »

The GCF qualification is supported by the GCF logo which incorporates the FATG logo, I understand that some GCF have been warned with the UK Trading Standards if they continued to use the GCF logo after they opted to withdraw from the FATG…

Very questionable and shallow carry on as far as I’m concerned………..in fact it disturbs me greatly…
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

Dermot wrote:The GCF qualification is supported by the GCF logo which incorporates the FATG logo, I understand that some GCF have been warned with the UK Trading Standards if they continued to use the GCF logo after they opted to withdraw from the FATG…
Very questionable and shallow carry on as far as I’m concerned………..in fact it disturbs me greatly…
Quite correct Dermot.
I was one of those GCF's who received that very same letter from the FATG.
I can tell people I am a GCF and use the GCF abbreviation, but I cannot display the GCF logo as I am no longer a member.
John GCF
Bill Henry
Organisation: Not so much - it's kind of messy.
Interests: Dry mounting dog hair, counting age spots on old people, playing chess with wood elves, scheming to take over the world.

Post by Bill Henry »

I certainly don’t know the laws on your side of the world, but that FATG credential coercion would be considered illegal over here.

The PPFA sponsors, designs, and administers the CPF and MCPF, but they cannot refuse to administer the exam for non-PPFA members, nor can they withhold credentials to those who don’t belong to the “club”.

I withdrew from the PPFA a few years ago, and I still display the CPF logo everywhere I can.
Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent! – Porky Pine
Mary Evans
Organisation: Applegarth Framing, Repton
Interests: Picture framing

Post by Mary Evans »

There has been much discussion about the Guild not allowing non-member GCFs to use the GCF logo.

It has been claimed that “it is like a university giving you a degree, then not allowing you to use or promote that degree unless you pay them a fee every year”. In my experience, graduates with degrees use the initials B.A. (or whatever degree is relevant) after their name, and may hang their graduation certificate; they aren’t given a University logo or shield to hang alongside.

Also quoted is a cut from the Guild website, the relevant part of which is the claim that non-members are not allowed to “1. use GCF status for publicity and promotion, and 2. enhance their entry in Yellow Pages or Thomson Directories”. GCF non-members are indeed allowed to do this in words – what they are not permitted to do is use the GCF logo, which implies Guild membership.

It costs £95 + VAT for a member to take the GCF, £125 + VAT for a non-member. This is not mega-bucks for a qualification because we want to encourage framers to improve both their own standards and the public image of the framing trade. The Guild Commended Framer logo includes the Fine Art Trade Guild logo and is obviously part of this organisation. Why should a fairly minimal one-off payment (probably the price of one decent framing job for many framers) entitle a framer to display the logo for the rest of his working life? That would be the bargain of the century! All GCFs are allowed to use the initials after their name, to display their certificate, and use the information in their advertising, but only members can display the logo. The GCF logo implies affiliation with the Guild and if the logo could be displayed by non-members, I suspect we would have an equal number of irate paid-up members!

Mary Evans
Moglet
Organisation: An Urban Myth
Interests: I'll let you know if I get my life back.

Post by Moglet »

This query is directed to Forum members with the GCF qualification. To the best of my knowledge, I believe that GCFs receive a certificate from the FATG that includes the GCF logo. Is this correct?
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
Image .Briseann an dúchas trí shuiligh an chuit.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Could I add another question - is it also correct that they receive a window sticker ditto?
Peter the framer
Organisation: North West
Interests: Photography, Walking Beekeeping & Framing

Post by Peter the framer »

Mary, I am new to this trade/industry so forgive me if I am missing something here.
It seems ambiguous if you allow non-members to take the exam but then not to allow them to use the GCF status for publicity. What's the point (OK i know it will improve your framing)? You then go on to say that GCF non members are allowed to do this in words - so you do allow it after all.

If you take the money for GCF exams then I can't see how you can legally stop anyone advertising this fact in any responsible way they choose - contract in restraint of trade?
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

You know you should not advertise that you belong to a secret society, as most of the public do not know who The Fine Art Trade Guild is, so how will they know what GCF after your name or in the Yellow Pages means, being able to show the Guilds logo, it might be doing the Guild a favor.

Steve n
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/