Professional

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
SquareFrames
Organisation: Dromore Picture Framing / Down School of
Interests: Reading, relaxing, and funnily enough, its hard to stop thinking of framing

Professional

Post by SquareFrames »

Hi Folks,

Someone said on the forun the other day that is was quiet, well here we go, get your teeth into this one.

Many framers rightly or wrongly promote themselves as 'Professional Picture Framers'

From The Concise Oxford English Dictionary it defines professional as 'relating to or belonging to a profession. • worthy of a professional person; skilful or competent'

Professional body (100%)
From A Dictionary of Economics, An organization of people with particular professional qualifications. Such an organization may seek to set standards of professional competence, to control entry to ensure that its members are able to maintain professional standards, to monitor the ...

Fair enough I suppose, but here's the catch, for example: Say you did a job to Conservation Standard, i.e conservation boards, tapes, hinges, glass, etc. and informed the client and priced the job accordingly, but decided in your wisdom to cuts a few corners, i.e. use standard grade mountboard, stuck the job down, and in 2 years time the client breaks the glass moving house. (Hey! it happens) As the client has moved away from your area, and therfore uses a different framer, who takes it apart to change the glass, and sees how its done, and informs the client of how it should have been done, and explained that the client was told it was to be done that way...but it wasnt

Now she is so annoyed she takes you to court, as is her right to do so, after all we are a more litigation driven society these days, and you state your profession as a professional picture framer, and right away the smart / savvy / streetwise / obnoxious / underhanded prosecuting barrister stabs you in the heart with these words....'I see you are a professional picture framer, I can take it then that you know everything there is to know about picture framing?' You may as well try to hide behind the witness box, because you LOOSE, why, because you DONT know everything, (I havent met anyone yet who knows it all, one person in mind comes close mind you, opps sorry he only thinks he knows it all), so hes got you by the hangy down bits and is squeezing, ever so gently, until he gets his teeth into you.

Trading Standards in Northern Ireland say the word is a massive grey area, and can be taken in many context, but they would not get invloved if the frame in question was under £2000, Small Claims Court would deal with that, so its just you, the client and a Magistrate, so it all depends on how awake the Magistrate is at the time. Trading Standards also informed me that the contect they would use the word in (last Friday), was, as a professional using your job as a sole source of income and or belonging to a profession body, it is not to say they would use the same context today (Thursday), differing circumstances prevail.

I used to have Professional written on my front door, until I was told of this case (above), so I took it off and thought no more about it, until last Friday when one of old framing students showed me her new business card. She has been framing for over 2 years, so is very competent in her job and knowledge, but this word cropped up again. Funnily enough she even went to the bother of looking up a dictionary to be sure, but now isnt?

Any armchair (UK) lawyers out there, who could shed some light on this? Obviously circumstances in Eire, the US and other far away countries would be different, but having said that, that is why we are such a litigious society, the US sneezed and we caught the cold.

Looking forward to seeing the answers

Steven
Someone Once Said 'Knowledge Is Power'
Down School of Picture Framing http://www.downschoolofpictureframing.co.uk
Ireland's Only Accredited Training School
GCF Examination Centre
Accredited Valiani Demonstration / Training Centre
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Tech Support
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

All depends on your definition of professional, do you think that Ogden was referring to picture framers back in 1935?

Professional men, they have no cares;
Whatever happens, they get theirs.
Ogden Nash 1902-71: 'I Yield to My Learned Brother' (1935)
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Post by JFeig »

From my WEBSTER"S dictionary

" 8. a person who earns a living in a sport or other occupation that is frequently engaged in by amatures."

Yes, there are a lot of amatures out there.

students
artists
homeowners
artists
photographers
art teachers / instructors
decorators / designers

did I say artists!

Jerry
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
Jim Miller

Post by Jim Miller »

"Professional" and "perfect" are not interchangeable terms. That is, being professional does not assure that one is perfect.

Lawsuits are rare in our business -- in the USA, at least -- but they do happen, just as described above. Some framers believe they will never be sued because they don't know any framer who has been.

Of course, framers who are sued generally go out of business quietly. Most of them aren't anxious to proclaim that they performed poorly, or that they went bankrupt trying to defend a lawsuit (innocence won't save us from the cost).

This is a good reason for us to learn and follow the "generally accepted practices" in our industry. FATG, PPFA, and FACTS all have a hand in developing what may be proven acceptable, except in areas where they disagree.

It's also a good reason to educate our customers. If we damage a customer's artwork because he/she refused protective features out of ignorance, we stand to lose a great deal more than one order. Customers who understand what goes on inside the frame are more receptive to doing it right.

And incidentally, having a signed "disclaimer" will not save us in the USA. Courts have ruled that we are responsible for damage caused by our work, whether we inform the customer or not. When we do substandard work for any reason, we are responsible.
Dermot

Post by Dermot »

Below are links to “Professional” associations ALL who are members of “The Federation of Professional Associations” (FPA) (a UK “Professional” body) http://www.amicus-fpa.org.uk/

…..go figure guys there is even a “Professional” Association for the “Professional” :roll: ………can all of these “Professional” organizations be so inept that they are putting there members in danger of been sued by using the word “Professional” in the title of there organization, the FPA represent over 40,000 “Professional” members.
Occupations
Accountancy
Cement
Chartered Engineering
Chemicals
Clerical
Computing
Civil Aviation - cabin crew
Civil Aviation - ground staff
Diving
Electrical Engineering
Engingineering
Fire Services
Information Technology
Marketing
Pharmaceuticals
Post Office
Probation & Bail Hostels
Probation Managers
Probation Officers
Public Transport
Sales
Steel
Science
Textiles
Technical
Transport
Associations
Ascent
Association of Managerial & Professional Staffs
Association of Staff of Probation & Bail Hostels
British Cement Staff Association
British Transport Officers' Guild
Communication Managers Association
Electrical & Engineering Staff Association
Cabin Crew 89
National Association of Fire Officers
Probation Managers' Association
Steel & Industrial Managers Association
United Kingdom Association of Professional Engineers
Waste Management Employees Association
SquareFrames
Interests: Reading, relaxing, and funnily enough, its hard to stop thinking of framing

Professional

Post by SquareFrames »

Hi Dermot,

Lot of research there, excellent. But I still dont see a section for Picture Framers. Does that tell you something? I have emaile Amicus to see what they say about this, I await their reply.

I consider myself a professional picture framer, basically as this is my full-time profession, I earn my sole living from it and I have went to the bother of taking and passing the GCF qualification and 2 GCF Advanced qualifications, so knowledge is not the problem. BUT, I am still learning, everyday there is a new and different problem to figure out, so the learning curve continues. The problem only arises (apparently as stated in my original posting) when one does call themself a professional and something goes wrong you leave yourself wide open for a hammering in the courts, it has happened and will no doubt happen again in the future, but what worried me was Trading Standards answer, as a grey area and what context the word professional can be taken in, in any situation.

In the case that I referred to the framer lost the case because the prosecuting barrister attcaked his lack of knowledge in the object he framed, he simply said that as a professional picture framer you should have known. But the reason for my original posting was to gauge what other full-time picture framers, using picture framing as their sole sourc of income thought about using the term professional in their title, on their business cards and for promotional purposes.

Steven
GCF Examination Centre
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Post by JFeig »

I would have attacked the framer in your example for another reason. The framer sold a job with a given standard and then substituted materials and techniques with another (of lesser value and quality). In my mind, this framer cheated the client and got caught. He (or she) got what they deserved (a guilty verdict in court).

In terms of "professional" being added to a title. Professional does not necessarly equate to being ethical.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
Dermot

Post by Dermot »

Hi Steven

Can you post details of this case Plaintiff and Defendant Date and Location? ………..it would be a great help in evaluating the relevance of the case you allude to.

I have done an extensive search of court cases in the British Isles (All Ireland and The UK) I cannot locate this case, in fact I cannot locate or find reference to any case where a Professional Picture Framer was the defendant in a court case that the quality of work carried out was an issue.

Thanks
SquareFrames

Professional

Post by SquareFrames »

Hi Dermot,

Wish I could provide that information, but alas, I was only informed about it, I wasnt privy to any further information for some reason, but I do know it happened. Not even sure of when it happened, or how long ago, but I will endeavour to find out, if I can.

This has come up a few times at informal discussions at local Fine Art Trade Guild branch meetings, but nothing was ever discussed in an open meetings, so nothing was ever investigated or researched.

The reason I brought this subject up was to gauge what other framers would and would not do with regards the term 'Professional'. In my position as a Fine Art Trade Guild Trainer, I have a responsibility to all my students as they leave my framing school to keep them 'right' as it were. It would not be good for my school for someone just finishing the course to go and open their business, call themsleves a professioanl and cock a job up, and then it filter back to my teaching or advice.
One of my courses is a 5 Day Basic -Advanced Framing Skills, and after 5 days of intensive framing, they leave, (some have had little or no experience beforehand, some have had some experience, some have been framing for years and want to learn 'correctly',) but each and everyone leaves my premises with me knowing they can cut & pin a frame, calculate and cut mounts, including double mounts, double mounts with V grooves, wash line mounts, and multiple mounts, and all using conservation grade or above mountboard, stretch canvas, etc.

They leave me all having the knowledge to take and pass the GCF exam, doesnt mean they will, but I recommend that they get experience in their workshops for some months, no one does a test within a 4 month period, unless they show they have the natural ability (which quite a few have, and mostly female) or have been framing beforehand. They have to work at it, and practice when they have been taught when they get a chance, but they leave me not knowing it all, but they leave with sufficient knowldge and practical experince to open and start their own business, and given time, in my view become professional picture framers, with the ability to learn.

They also leave with me knowing that they have a good knowledge of the Fine Art Trade Guild's GCF Study guide and most importantly the Guild's 5 Levels of Framing (yes they do get homework, even lines, 'wash lines' that is), but in no way would I personally call anyone of them professional, not until they have proved themselves worthy of being entitled to use the word. They dont have any god given right to call themselves professional, they have to earn that right. Yes, they all go and earn their living from picture framing, yes, its their sole source of income, but like I said, professionalism comes from experience, hard work, dedication and the ability to learn. I remember reading in FACTS to 'beware of the framer that knows it all' Does anyone know of anyone that knows it all, or that claims to know it all?

One last thing, that does worry me. If a UK governmment body such as Trading Standards not have a dedicated definition of 'profesional' where does that leave us, the professional picture framers?

Steven
GCF Examination Centre
markw

Post by markw »

As soon as you put your name to a framing business you are legally proffesional. You may not be a proffesional framer but to the first customer that comes through your door you are. Its why we should as a business insure the risks that we take in handling the customers work. What suprises me is that i have never been asked by any insurance company "what qulaifies you to claim that you are a picture framer"? Experience is the only real qualification - part of that experience should be some form of formal training and testing, but the majority is gained by doing the job, and that sometimes means that you will make mistakes - being proffesional means that you dont let the mistakes leave your workshop - and that you learn from your mistakes and improve the service you offer your customer. This forum is a good example of experience being used positivly to produce proffesional results.
SquareFrames

Professional

Post by SquareFrames »

Hi Mark,

In total agreement that before anyone can consider themselves a professional, some form of initial training should be taken, i.e. an apprenticeship, like most other trades, and then regular assessments throughout their career. As you know in the Guild we have the GCF scheme, which goes some way to sorting this out to a certain degree, but for me the basic GCF does not go far enough, it should be harder, but that cannot change now. The Advanced modules make the difference.

I also agree that I have never been asked by my insurers of what makes me a picture framer, you'd think they would? One bit I slightly disagree with is ensuring that mistakes are rectified before they go out through the door, in some cases these mistakes cannot be rectified by some framers....why? Simple, they just dont know what or how they are doing the job. This is a situation where a mistake made in the workshop (because of ignorance, lack of basic knowledge, lack of dedication, lack of being man or woman enough to ring someone up and ask for advice), can simply destroy a persons work, thus bringing not only that particular picture framer but all picture framers and framing into disrepute.

Talk soon,

Steven
GCF Examination Centre
less

Post by less »

Hi

can I just echo JFieg's sentiment but also add that in the case cited there is a clear breach of contract by the framer (under English law).

If you agree to provide goods or services of specified quality in return for a consideration i.e. money or money's worth and then substitute with something of a lesser nature you are in breach of the agreement between yourself and the other party.

There are volumes of case law on breach of contract, if you are uncertain check some of them out.

Les Sutherland aka less