GCF qualification

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Re: GCF qualification

Post by Steve N »

I remember the IBPF, I became a member just before the merger with the Guild, the Guild sent me a cheque (drawn on the IBPF bank account) to cancel my membership, and closed the bank account before I had time to pay the cheque into my account :clap:
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
prospero

Post by prospero »

Trillian wrote: ..........Regardless of what you are framing, or to what level of conservation, it still has to look right, otherwise what's the point? This is fundamental to the proficiency of a good framer, and yet isn't tested. .......
Whoaaa there. :o Who is going to decide what looks good? You can see a wonky corner - that's a technical thing. But when it comes to the aesthetic aspect, people's tastes vary widely. Surely if the person who is paying for it likes it, it's a good job. Even if everyone else in the universe thinks it is bilious. :?
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

There are design principles which have been around for hundreds of years which are used in art, architecture, photography, fashion design oh and picture framing. I don't personally know the mathematics behind them but they are there, and people are drawn to them.

However as you say if your customers like you using very narrow mounts with a large frame or side borders bigger than the top and bottom then fine.............. until someone shows them something different and starts using them instead of you.
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

nooooo, youo cant realistically assess someones design skills its all opinion

the rules, like for example rule of thirds in photography, does mean a photo is no good etc if it doesnt fit the rule

as for things like weighting mounts, certain cultures dont do it on purpose, some do. so again its not a universal thing
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

You can certainly teach the basic principals of it Steve, like top and side borders should be equal and the bottom the same or bigger, mount should be bigger than the width of the moulding etc etc. I wasn't meaning that the guild police go round and lock you up for dodgy design.
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

i agree you can inform it, but cant assess it as part of any kind of examination i dont belive
An Old Master

Post by An Old Master »

A point to bear in mind. I would suggest that, out of a picture framing industry as we know it, 100% know how to make a picture frame; but only about 35% can frame a picture.
An Old Master

Post by An Old Master »

Guild and GCF apart Grays, would you be willing to put the time and effort into an organisation dedicated to the benefit of the trade as a whole, or would you want to be limited to shouting from the touchline after work ?
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

i would happily get involved in something pete

what that is not sure

but as things are doesnt appeal to get involved
An Old Master

Post by An Old Master »

Errr - Is that a yes or a no Stephen?
OK, make it easy - would you, Stephen Crozier, spinster of this parish, wish to be involved wholeheartedly in the creation of an organisation devoted to benefitting the picture framing industry ?
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

yes
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Me too - I'd also do the touch line thing after work!
An Old Master

Post by An Old Master »

I'd already picked up on that Robo - you've dropped enough hints!
Trillian
Organisation: Considering the options. Again!
Interests: Changes on a daily basis, but I'm never without a book to read.

Post by Trillian »

I wouldn't normally say this, but here goes...

I disagree! There, I said it! :oops:

You can teach and assess design and aesthetics, but in order to do so, you have to first understand the basic elements and principles of design. Regardless of whether you actually like a piece of design, you can assess how it relates to those basic principles. The principles are what distinguish mediocre design from great design, be it a logo, car, house, wine label, piece of fabric, or even a picture frame. And these principles have been in use since the time of the ancient Egyptians.

If, as has been suggested, it is not possible to assess design skills, how do you think students on design courses in art schools gain their qualifications? You cannot get a degree in any discipline of the arts (including design), simply for turning up (although, one may disagree, based on some of the work that is produced!). Each module of a further/higher education arts course will be assessed and graded, based primarily on three criteria:

1. Does the design fulfill the brief?
2. Does the design fulfill any practical requirements?
3. Does the design make use of the principles of design?

This is not arty-farty mumbo-jumbo, but the recognised principles that are the basis of all branches of visual arts, including graphic design, interior design, architecture, garden design, packaging design, and even fine art and picture framing. These elements are all around us, it's just that most people are not aware of them, and you will no doubt apply them everyday in your bespoke framing, even if you don't know that you are doing it! Obviously, the subject can be studied in great depth, and I do not wish to detract from the OP, but I would like to corroborate what Grays and myself have been saying, that design and aesthetics can be taught, can be assessed, and are important in picture framing.

I wouldn't know about the figures, but I agree with An Old Master, that whilst every framer can make a frame, not all of them can frame a picture.

For anyone interested, this webpage helps to briefly explain the elements and principles of design.
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

but good design doesnt always fit those principles

you can assess if someone has understood the principles, thats black and white

assessing if a design is good is not black and white.

for example some of the most critically acclaimed photos in the world dont fit the design rules like rule of thirds etc etc

so the it becomes very subjective, for example you and me both assessing the same image or frame design could disagree completely if its a good design or image, that really my point

and industry assessment has to be black and white, basically technical. i dont think it should ever be subjective opinion based
prospero

Post by prospero »

Design rules, or guidelines as I prefer, as very sound and established principles. But they should not be regarded as the written in stone. I have seen frames that seem to break at least some of the 'rules' and they look brilliant. :P
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
An Old Master

Post by An Old Master »

The FATG regularly holds framing competitions. I hate framing competitions. I've said before that what I and most people with reasonable taste recognise as the best framing would not win a framing competition. Mind you.....
Back in my IBPF days, we did a few as well, much to my disagreement. After the third, many asked why I hadn't entered, and my excuse was always was that, as vice- president of the IBPF, if I won it would be received with cries of fix and favouritism. So I decided that I'd make my point and show everyone what really tasteless framing looked like. I did the gaudiest, most complicated, over the top piece of framing that you can possibly imagine. The boss of a moulding company, the editor of a prominent Art publication and a visiting American framing author were the judges. I overheard them picking mine as the winner and immediately despatched the secretary of the IBPF to change their minds instantly. No accounting for taste.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Yeah but if you win, even if you become a finalist .... even if you enter - you can tell the world on your website, in your newsletter, in your window - etc - that's the reasons most do it I think. Plus you do see SOME nice stuff - if it wins or not.
An Old Master

Post by An Old Master »

I would not want to be famous for crap like I did.
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

I think framing competitions are a waste of time.

They always end up as who can over design, use the most shades of mountboard and cut the most impractical designs into the mount as possible. A bit of willy waving quite frankly and usually between the Valiani and Gunnar camps. :head: :head:

However the one thing that they all fall flat on their faces is with that they always forget the most important bit............ the frame package should compliment the artwork and not become the artwork. That in my mind is the sign of a good framing job. :D :D