recycling

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
markw

recycling

Post by markw »

do you recycle glass - paper etc.
I used to put all my glass in the local recycling bin - untill they put a special lid on that only allows for bottles - now i dump it having failed totally to find a local recycling company willing to pick up my unwanted glass. Local council say that business waste is not their concern - local waste collectors dont want to know about recycling on the scale of my output. I reckon that i could recycle at least 60% of my waste - i recycle 0%. Anybody with some positive experience / advice - it was one of my new years resolutions to recycle glass - if nothing else.
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Post by JFeig »

I get $.60/pound for aluminum (metal moulding cuttings) from a scrap dealer.

cardboard - (shipping boxes) are picked up by the city only if I place them in a wrapped bundle - residential home rules

asst mount board / foam center board / flat glass / acrylic scrap - no one wants - they go into a large commercial dumpster for pickup

bottles, newspapers and cans - recycle bun just like residential homes

I happen to have a local screen print shop that takes my small mount cutouts and uses them to clean his screens of excess ink. The majority of the cutouts are cut into ready made mounts and sold to artists.

I get $1.20 for an 8x10.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
SquareFrames
Organisation: Dromore Picture Framing / Down School of
Interests: Reading, relaxing, and funnily enough, its hard to stop thinking of framing

Recycling

Post by SquareFrames »

Hi Folks,

In our local ammenity site here run by Banbridge District Council, I recycle basically nothing, and that includes the glass, 'its got a green tinge' you know, so they ahve no place to put it, so it goes into the Domestic Waste skip. The amount of waste glass I dump weekly, sometimes every other day, is a shame, but if they have no where to put it because of its 'green tinge', I reckon its not my problem. I do recycle cardboard, i.e. packaging from print companies, but not scrap mountboard, again the council have no category for it, its neither paper or cardboard, so its in the Domestic Waste skip. I used to recycle old moulding scraps or frames that I had replaced, etc., but the ammenity site people used to grab them and take them home, now I give them to a mate for lighting his fire.

As for getting paid for dumping or recycling, 'Yeah Right', what planet you think we are from? Thankfully the council in its wisdom made a decree a few years ago that shop keepers and businesses did not have to pay to use the ammenity site, otherwise it would cost me at £18.50 per trip and that on top of paying to get a wheelie bin emptied, approx. cost £9 per week, on top of the Rates bill. Thank goodness I dont have a wheelie bin, got no where to keep one.

Getting paid for our waste would be an excellent idea, but if I have a huige amount to dump and ask the council to collect it, I got to pay for that service, and its not cheap, I got caught once, never again.

Recycling? Not in this district!

Steven
Someone Once Said 'Knowledge Is Power'
Down School of Picture Framing http://www.downschoolofpictureframing.co.uk
Ireland's Only Accredited Training School
GCF Examination Centre
Accredited Valiani Demonstration / Training Centre
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Post by JFeig »

I have mentioned this before, here and or on the US Grumble.

My local chapter of PPFA had a tour of the original Guardian Industries plant in Carlton, Michigan. Their response to me about this question was that "due to the nature of continious production vs batch production any contamination would be disasterious!" Therefore they do not collect scrap from outside sources. They recycle all the the glass from their production facilities including theie window divisions and automotive divisions that do not have any value added coatings. That means if it has a UV coating or bronzed building glass is not recycled either.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
SquareFrames
Interests: Reading, relaxing, and funnily enough, its hard to stop thinking of framing

Recycling

Post by SquareFrames »

Hi,

Here's a question for you?

What's the difference between a Nun in prayer and a Nun in the bath? Opps! wrong subject. (Mind wandering again)

The real question is. what's the difference between a scrap piece of green tinged picture glass, and a green beer or wine bottle? They can and will promote green bottle recycling, but not picture glass.

Now, here's another snippet. As a former Branch Master of Fine Art Trade Guild for my local area, if I had organised a trip round any type of recycling plant, or 'Green' area, I would have been laughed at, and basically told 'Not during working hours'. You just cant win!

Steven

Oh, by the way, answers to the first question by request ONLY
GCF Examination Centre
SquareFrames

Recycling

Post by SquareFrames »

Hi Folks, me again,

I forgot to mention, any decent sized scraps of mountboard, MDF, foamcore, that is basically no good to me, I GIVE, (Not sell, like some do) to local Christain or Handicapped schools. This is always appreciated and, to be honest, makes you feel good at the end of the day.
I once even gave away a plan chest full of absolute rubbish prints to a Christain school, they must have got approx. 200-250 prints as well as a place for storage, and I got a mention in their local magazine.

One of the local doctor's wifes calls with me on a regular basis and fills her boot, the kids love it, for drawing on, cutting up, making shapes, etc. They actually make Christmas decorations out of the MDF, and paint them.

The moral of the story is......if you cant get shot of it, give it away to a good cause.

Steven
GCF Examination Centre
markw

Post by markw »

I admit that my only effective recycling is giving away scrap mountboard. I often carefully cut my scrap glass into usable sizes for ready mades - but i get so much i have to have regular "just get rid of it because i cant reach the machinery" clean outs. my very expensive (£90+ various taxes per quarter)green wheelie bin is almost to the point of wheel collapse, and i expect the collection lorry to tip up with the weight - and it can be so easily recycled. I have written an email to the FATG suggesting that a national recycling scheme should be investigated - i wonder what the reply will be?

My youngest son is going on a visit to southern Peru on a Team Challenge - he has to pay for the trip himself so i have set him the task of making a profitable use of my offcuts - he has to raise £3000 by summer of 2006 - any suggestions welcomed -- we thought we were lucky if we got a day in London.
Dermot

Post by Dermot »

Glassco www.glassco.ie provide a recycling service for business that generate waste “Flat” glass, it may be worth your while to drop them an email to see if they have a service in your locality or if the they can suggest a service provider in your area.

Rgs
Dermot

Post by Dermot »

One suggestion I came across for the use of waste “Flat” glass was to get a concrete mixer dump the waste glass into it, mix the hell out of it till it is ground into very small pieces and then use it for the infill needed under patio’s or paths…….I have not tried this yet but personally I feel it is one of the most practical uses for waste “Flat” glass..

The other use was of a more artistic use…..when I was in the US Jerome Feig (Jerry) took me to an Art day in a town near where he lives………one artist had used waste glass mixed with concrete to make some very interesting pieces of functional art which could be used as garden furniture…..

Rgs