Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Bagpuss
Organisation: Adam The Picture Framer
Interests: TBA

The Joys of "Hand FInishing" ....

Post by Bagpuss »

Did anyone on the Forum go to the day long training session given by Pete Bingham in "Hand Finishing" of frames at the Fine Art Trade Guild back in November ? I didn't but wish I had, apparently it was very good.
I have seen Pete at various shows over the years and have always been impressed with the finishes he gets on bare wood frames but have never really tried it, always thought it was a bit messy and not for me :giggle:

I remember one talk Pete gave a couple of years ago at the London Guild meeting at Reigate Manor Hotel. At the end of his talk I asked Pete how many different mouldings he carries and I think he said about a dozen !? When I think of all the offcuts of numerous different mouldings I have gathering dust in the corner of the Workshop, I'm starting to warm to the idea of keeping a smaller range of finished moulding for my posters, football shirts etc. ( for the majority of the framing I do ) and then keeping a range of barewood frames that I can stain, paint, wax etc.,

Does anyone do a lot of hand finishing on a daily basis and has anyone done training with Pete Bingham ? I need to get in touch with him I think : )
Thanks,
Adam/Bagpuss
My real name is Adam Laver aka "Adam The Picture Framer", just in case you were unsure ; )
Gus
Organisation: Not yet.
Interests: Off road motorcycling; Youth work; Watching sport - motocross; speedway and rugby mainly.

Re: The Joys of "Hand FInishing" ....

Post by Gus »

I went to the FATG event - very good. Pete was on top form with loads of practical demonstrations and advice. If you want to have a go, look at the thread by NYAF recently and book onto the 2 days in April. You will get loads of ideas and inspiration, and a great 2 days away!
silvercleave
Organisation: thought I was
Interests: Working to put food on table

Post by silvercleave »

Hello Bagpuss, Not your average framer is running a good course next month, it IS on the forum but cannot find it at present

Ian
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

You will find the course on the announcements section of the forum. It's a two day hands on course, it is priced to be affordable to as many people as possible and intended to be entertaining and enjoyable.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Kwik Picture Framing
Organisation: Kwik Picture Framing
Interests: Picture framing
Making just that little bit of difference to someone, somewhere.

Post by Kwik Picture Framing »

I didn't go, but strongly believe that it is something that many people could have gained a lot from. There is something so beautiful and personal about hand finishing when it's done the right way, so it's great that people are willing to teach the skill.