Page 1 of 1

Framed oil canvas with glass

Posted: Thu 29 Sep, 2022 11:59 am
by AtelierFrames
Hi
A customer has requested a number of oil paintings on stretched canvas to be framed under glass. I have explained they would need a spacer or slip frame so that the painting does not come into contact with the glass . However, would I put a backing board on the back or leave this open for the canvas to breath.

Thanks

Re: Framed oil canvas with glass

Posted: Thu 29 Sep, 2022 12:06 pm
by Justintime
"Canvas doesn't breathe!" is a common exclamation on other forums.
As I understand it, it is common practice in the US to back a canvas with a corrugated polyproplene board, but not common in the UK. Personally I like the idea but would take my lead from someone like Tudor Rose.
I can say however that when framing a canvas it is advised to use Acrylic rather than glass, due to the high likelihood of costly damage to the canvas should the glass break.

Re: Framed oil canvas with glass

Posted: Thu 29 Sep, 2022 12:12 pm
by AtelierFrames
Thanks for the prompt response. I will check out the other threads on yhe forum as you suggest.

Also, a valid point about potential damage to canvas should the glass break.

Your feedback is very much appreciated.

Re: Framed oil canvas with glass

Posted: Thu 29 Sep, 2022 12:17 pm
by Justintime
"...on other forums.." was referring to Framers Only/framing.academy groups etc on facebook.