Page 1 of 1
Framing seaweed
Posted: Sun 30 Oct, 2022 7:57 am
by Machiners2
Has anyone been asked to frame dried pressed seaweed - seems to be a new trend! Someone has asked me if I can do it, but having never done any the answer is I don’t know! Not sure how to stick it. Could it touch the glass? A box frame probably best I would imagine. Any other potential issues? Thanks for any advice

Re: Framing seaweed
Posted: Sun 30 Oct, 2022 10:15 am
by GeoSpectrum
A recipie for rot or dried out in pieces at the bottom of the frame?
Re: Framing seaweed
Posted: Mon 31 Oct, 2022 10:53 am
by Justintime
Anything is possible! A few dots of water based grab adhesive or even clear drying wood glue should do the trick. I wouldn't put it against the glass as the temp and humidity is bound to affect it sooner or later. Just use a spacer (as in a box frame). Warn the customer that this is bound to deteriorate in time.
Re: Framing seaweed
Posted: Mon 31 Oct, 2022 11:16 am
by Gesso&Bole
There's no problem with framing things that will deteriorate, so long as the customer understands the reality.
I have done quite a few wedding bouquets over the years - one being my daughter's which was 10 years ago and still looks good, in a Miss Haversham sort of way!
The trick is to design the frame in such a way so that if (and when) bits fall off, they are not too obvious. The easiest way to do this is in a box frame with a mount at the front.